Our mission is to provide grief support programs and services for children, teens and their families who have experienced the death of a loved one. We do this through peer support groups in the safe and nurturing environment of our home, and through grief education and training services for schools, businesses and other community organizations.
Kyle's Korner is based on the well-known and highly effective childhood grief support model created by the Dougy Center of Portland, Oregon. We believe that every child deserves the opportunity to grieve in a supportive and understanding environment. However, our society often fails to understand or support the needs of a child and family in grief.
Based on these beliefs, the principles of Kyle's Korner are:
- Grief is a natural reaction to the loss of a loved one for children as well as adults.
- Within each individual is the natural capacity to heal oneself.
- The duration and intensity of grief are unique for each individual.
- Caring and acceptance assist in the healing process.
- Provide a warm, nurturing environment where children and teens can safely express their feelings and share experiences with others.
- Gather children and teens with similar experiences to support each other and lessen the feelings of sadness, loneliness and abandonment.
- Increase children's and teen's coping skills and strategies.
- Clarify death-related issues which may be confusing or contradictory and may be creating fear for children and teens.
- Encourage open communication among family members in order to promote support for each other.
- Educate parents, teachers, caregivers and community agencies concerning children's needs when faced with death.
- Serve as a community resource for others who work with bereaved children, teens and their families.